The Archdiocese of Hartford and the Roman Catholic Churches of Wethersfield are dedicated to ensuring the protection of children, youth, and vulnerable adults by maintaining a safe environment of all. The Office of Safe Environment of the Archdiocese of Hartford assists all of our parishes in ensuring that all youth and vulnerable adults remain protected within our churches. Through the use of obligatory procedures of background checks and training sessions for our employees and volunteers and annual sessions for our children, the Office and our parishes are always at work to provide the best and safest environment possible for everyone.
If you'd like to participate as a volunteer in one of the ministries at our churches and have not already done so, please contact the Parish Office at Christ the King Parish to learn about the process for completing the necessary background check and/or VIRTUS - Protecting God's Children training session.
To access the online VIRTUS Training:
- Go to www.virtusonline.org
- On the left hand side, click "First Time Registrant"
- Click "Begin the registration process"
- Select "Hartford, CT" from the drop down menu.
- On the next page, click "NO" when it asks if you've registered before
- Create Username and Password on next page
- Fill in information on the next page
- Select the parish/school where you wil be volunteering/employed from the drop down menu, select your role, and enter your Title/Function down at the bottom
- On the next page, add another location if you are at multiple parishes/schools. If not, select "NO"
- Answer the questions on the next page
- On the next page, click "NO" when it asks if you've previously attended a session
- Select which online training to complete (English or Spanish)
- Please complete the training in one sitting without jumping ahead. It takes about an hour and a half. If you try to fast forward and "skip" the videos, it will mark you as not completing the training and you will have to register all over again. If you begin the training but then log off, you will also have to register all over again.
- If training is not completed within 90 days of registration, your account will be automatically deleted and you will have to go through the registration and training process from the beginning.
REPORTING AN INCIDENT OF SEXUAL ABUSE
If you have knowledge or suspect that a minor or vulnerable adult (an adult with an intellectual disability) has been sexually abused, in any manner, by personnel of the Archdiocese of Hartford, you are urged to report this information. You can view or download instructions in English or in Spanish on how to contact Faith Vos Winkel, MSW, Victim Assistance Coordinator for the Archdiocese of Hartford, and report such an incident.
Additional information can be found at the Archdiocese of Hartford Office of Safe Environment website.
For immediate assistance, you can also contact the Office of Safe Environment at 860-541-6491.
SAFE ENVIRONMENT HANDBOOK
All clergy, employees, and volunteers who work with minors and vulnerable adults must agree to and follow the policies and procedures found in the Archdiocese of Hartford Office of Safe Environment Handbook: Policies and Procedures for the Protection of Minors and Vulnerable Adults and the Code of Ministerial Behavior For Personnel of the Archdiocese of Hartford. A copy of this Handbook can be found here in English and in Spanish.
For additional information about the efforts that continue to be made to protect children, youth, and vulnerable adults in our churches, please go to the Protection of Youth and Our Promise to Protect webpages for the Archdiocese of Hartford.