One way is to become a part of the Social Action Committee. If you interested, please call Nancy Kiely at 860-721-0197.
OUR MISSION AND GOALS
1. To identify areas of need of those suffering from the effects of poverty, discrimination, and injustice.
2. To seek solutions to these problems and provide direct service to those in need of food, clothing, shelter, and visitation.
3. To advocate for the poor in an effort to secure or enhance rights, services, and resources.
4. To educate parishioners about Catholic social teaching and the Scriptural call for all of us to reach out to our brothers and sisters in need.
5. To encourage total parish involvement with ministry projects wherever possible.
WHEN AND WHERE DO WE MEET?
We meet the third Tuesday of the month September through November and January through May, at 7:00 p.m. in Our Lady's Hall (basement) at Christ the King parish.
WHAT DO WE DO?
1. Collect sandwiches the first weekend of the month and juice boxes, T-shirts and socks every third month for the outreach program at Immacare, Inc. (formerly Immaculate Conception Shelter & Housing).
2. Provide snacks for the Habitat for Humanity work site once a month.
3. Organize drives for various items such as food, clothing, and school supplies.
4. Prepare and serve meals at Immacare, Inc. from October through April.
5. Provide transportation for three visually handicapped parishioners to attend weekly Mass.
6. Sponsor the Wish Tree Project to collect Christmas gifts for numerous organizations.
7. Collect & donate money for programs we support.
8. Organize, oversee and fund our parish’s health clinic, Clinica la Amistad, in El Progreso, Honduras, which is staffed by Hondurans and serves the poorest of the poor 2 days a week, 52 weeks a year.
9. Collect non-perishable food on a weekly basis, which gets distributed to the Town of Wethersfield food, St. Peter’s Church and St. Augustine’s Church food pantries.
10. Hold the Giving Crosses Program during Lent to encourage volunteerism and the spirit of giving and prayer.
11. Collect pastries from Starbucks and deliver them weekly to South Park Inn.
12. Write legislators about pertinent social justice issues.
13. Participate in HomeFront day each May.
14. Request monetary camp sponsorships for children attending summer camps.
15. Educate parishioners about Catholic social teaching and social justice issues.
Social Action Projects 2017– 2018
Honduras Clinic 2016
Honduras Clinic 2017
COLLECTION DATES FOR 2018:
You may wish to post this schedule on your refrigerator or bulletin board as a reminder. (* Socks and T-shirts in adult sizes and juice boxes included these months)
January 6/7 April 7/8 July 7/8 October 13/14
February 3/4* May 5/6* August 4/5* November 3/4*
March 3/4 June 2/3 September 8/9 December 1/2