“Parishes are called to reach out to the hurting, the poor, and the vulnerable in our midst in concrete acts of charity. Just as the gospel tells us as our lives will be judged by our response to the ‘least of these’ so too our parishes should be measured by our help for the hungry, the homeless, the troubled and the alienated – in our own community and beyond.” (U.S. Catholic Bishops, Communities of Salt & Light.)
Social Action Committee Description
What is a parish? “A parish…It is the place where all the faithful can be gathered together for the celebration of the Eucharist. The parish initiates the Christian people into the ordinary expression of the liturgical life: It gathers them together in this celebration; it teaches Christ’s saving doctrine; it practices the charity of the Lord in the good works and brotherly (sisterly) love.” Catechism of the Catholic Church
How do we become God’s presence in the world? One way is to become a part of the Social Action Committee.
If you interested, please call Nancy Kiely at 721-0197.
OUR MISSION AND GOALS
1. To identify areas of need of those suffering from the effects of poverty, discrimination, and injustice.
2. To seek solutions to these problems and provide direct service to those in need of food, clothing, shelter, and visitation.
3. To advocate for the poor in an effort to secure or enhance rights, services, and resources.
4. To educate parishioners about Catholic social teaching and the Scriptural call for all of us to reach out to our brothers and sisters in need.
5. To encourage total parish involvement with ministry projects wherever possible.
WHEN AND WHERE DO WE MEET?
We meet the third Tuesday of the month September through November and January through May, at 7:00 p.m. in Our Lady's Hall (basement) at Corpus Christi Church.
WHAT DO WE DO?
1. Collect sandwiches the first weekend of the month and juice boxes every third month for the outreach program at Immaculate Conception Shelter & Housing.
2. Provide snacks for the Habitat for Humanity work site once a month.
3. Organize drives for various items such as food, clothing, and school supplies.
4. Prepare and serve meals at Immaculate Conceptions Shelter & Housing, Inc. & South Park Inn, from October through April.
5. Provide transportation for two visually handicapped parishioners to attend weekly Mass.
6. Sponsor the Wish Tree Project to collect Christmas gifts for numerous organizations.
7. Collect & donate money for programs we support.
8. Organize, oversee and fund a health clinic in El Progreso, Honduras.
9. Provide free dental care monthly to Immaculate Conception Shelter & South Park Inn residents.
10. Hold the Giving Crosses Program during Lent to encourage volunteerism and the spirit of giving and prayer.
11. Collect pastries from Starbucks and deliver them weekly to South Park Inn.
12. Collect pastries from Panera Bread and deliver them weekly to St. Peter Church in Hartford.
13. Write legislators about pertinent social justice issues.
14. Participate in HomeFront day each May.
15. Request monetary camp sponsorships for children attending summer camps.
16. Educate parishioners about Catholic social teaching and social justice issues.
General Committee Information Sheet
Social Action Projects 2016 – 2017
Shelter Meals for 2016 – 2017
Tues. October 25th; Tues. November 22nd; Tues. December 20th;
Tues. January 17th; Tues. February 14th; Tues. March 14th.
SHELTER MEAL RECIPES update
FEEDING THE HUNGRY 2016